Onika Keleny was first introduced to fitness when she took a job in a gym in her hometown of Montreal that offered boxing, body building, and MMA. She worked there for 7 years and within that time frame became a yoga teacher. During those early stages of her fitness journey, she made lifelong friends and mentors who still inspire her. Following her time at Legends gym, Onika decided to move to South Beach, Miami where she indulged in her love for the beach and Cuban coffee. She worked in Public Relations full time and taught yoga on the weekends. She was in the process of starting a Yoga program in partnership with the Marriott hotel in South Beach when she met the love of her life, a handsome PhD candidate in Civil Engineering at North Carolina State University, and decided to move to Raleigh!
When Onika moved to Raleigh two years ago, she decided to focus all of her energy into what makes her happy: health, yoga and fitness. In October of 2014, she launched OK FIT Personal Training & Yoga. Onika wants to inspire people to become the best version of themselves so they can accomplish their greatest ambitions both in and out of the gym. Fitness is an awesome lifestyle that gives people a sense of pride and achievement. We are happy to have Onika as our Resident Health and Wellness Expert here at Papilia. Get pumped for some amazing tips from her coming soon. Join me now in learning more about Onika!
Onika in 60 Seconds
Current Location: Raleigh, NC
Favorite Place to Travel: Miami
Travel Motto: Make new friends everywhere I go!
Favorite Activity: Sunrise yoga on the beach
1) What do you love most about traveling?
Discovering new cultures and tasting new food.
2) What does your ultimate trip look like?
A perfect mix of cultural charm and sophistication.
3) What is your perfect day in your city?
A perfect day for me starts with being active. Lake Johnson is one of my favorite spots for a jog. It's a 3-mile jog around the lake with a few hills to get your heart rate pumping! To replenish, I enjoy a good smoothie from Freshii also famous for their awesome chicken bowl. If I'm indulging you may find me at Sushi O for yummy sushi rolls and cocktails or Bida Manda in downtown Raleigh. For shopping you will find me in an aisle at the Grand Asia Market, they have everything from takeout food, Asian fruit, and Kung-fu shoes ha! To get inspired, I like to run for a cause. Raleigh has so many 5k's and it is simply a fun way to give back.
4) What culture has surprised you the most and why?
New York haha! What a jungle it takes my breath away every time.
5) What's the biggest lesson you you have learned from all of your travels?
Stay open minded you never know when you are about to create amazing memories. Also, you would be surprised by how willing people are to help or give recommendations so don't hesitate to ask.
6) What immediately connects you to a new place?
#1 the weather, #2 the coffee, and 3# the people in that order lol.
7) What are your 5 must have travel-related items that you don't leave home without?
1)My green tea tumbler from Teami I get to drink loose leaf tea on the go
2) A book preferably by David Sedaris
3) Black tights from Calvin Klein since they are very comfortable on the plane and I can dress them up or down on my trip.
4) My pink Yurbud headphones since I usually workout when I travel and I need my music!
5) My Nike Air running shoes so my feet never hurt when i'm roaming around a city.
8)What is your next travel-related purchase?
A new piece of carry-on luggage that rolls front to back as well as side to side.
9) What is your favorite season to travel and why?
Winter to escape the cold!